Build your future career on a secure foundation.
Choose a specialist civil engineering apprenticeship . Apprenticeship duration: 3 years
As a specialist civil engineer, you will be given responsibility. You will install stable foundations for heavy building structures, suited to the load-bearing capacity of the subsoil. Your foundations will support high-rise buildings, bridges, roads or tunnels. Specialist civil engineers use anchoring and pile foundation to make the subsoil stable enough to support the weight of these structures.
Specialised structures such as bridges need to be anchored very firmly into the ground so that they can withstand the huge loads they are subjected to. Before construction begins, specialist civil engineers test the load-bearing capacity of the soil using deep test borings.
Specialist civil engineers use excavators to dig construction pits following the plans of the civil engineers and install dewatering systems to keep the pits dry. They secure the walls with reinforcement and anchor systems, and anchor the structural foundations with bored piles or diaphragm walls filled in with concrete and rebar. Specialist civil engineers anchor slopes to prevent landslips, and are also involved in tunnelling.
What you can expect from us:
- Varied work and responsibilities in a motivated team
- Interesting and challenging building projects using modern equipment
- Attractive salary package and a broad range of development opportunities in an international group
- Thirty days annual leave; holiday and Christmas bonuses
- Bonus payments for outstanding work
- Team events, such as ski championships, company runs, football matches, etc.
- A high proportion of our apprentices are offered jobs
- Career paths after the apprenticeship: further training to supervisor, site foreman and certified foreman
- Secondary school leaving qualification or equivalent
- Technical aptitude and an interest in the construction sector
- You are a team player and keen to learn
- You are safety-conscious with a sense of responsibility
- You enjoy working outdoors
- You are happy to be deployed to installation sites in different regions
Albert is training to be a specialist civil engineer at Stump-Franki. Here’s what he has to say about his work on the construction site:
“Before we start on the earthworks, we survey the site and enter the data into a computerised system. When we’re drilling to great depths, the drilling machinery we use is enormous. I adjust the equipment at the drilling spot and clean and grease the casing before screwing it together. We clear the sand out of the drill holes so that when we fill them with concrete, it will be able to bond with the rebars and create a stable foundation."
We are looking forward to receiving your application. Please include:
- A cover letter
- Your CV
- Your two most recent school reports or transcripts
- Any internship reports
Still some time left until your apprenticeship starts?
Why not try a work experience placement on one of our construction sites? You’ll be sure of useful experience for your future career. We’ll be delighted to help you – just get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Learn more about an apprenticeship with us.
Follow Robin through a day in his life as an apprentice.